- Spencer Tunick's mass nude installations
- the improvisational jazz of pickup basketball
- the Global Village Square project at the McLuhan Program in Culture and Technology
- Telematic Dreaming by Paul Sermon
- Spike Jonze's Being John Malkovich
The reference is from George Lucas' epic 1971 movie, THX 1138, in which a state-controlled intensification of communication processes manages every facet of daily life in a futuristic society, regulating the flux of all human subjects in work, leisure and love.
Though the Department exists in homage to Lucas’ vision, our consideration of biological flow seeks to reinvigorate the agency of the human subject in its negotiations with economic and political structures both material and immaterial.